I’ve been traveling a lot this week and I’m pretty sure I know which way is up, but also… maybe not so much. I was in New York City walking the streets with copies of Homemade Decadence and little bags of chocolate chip cookies trying to entice just about every magazine editor in the city. This weekend I’m in Aspen at the Food and Wine Festival drinking as much wine and taking as many pictures as possible. I’m bound to have a few celebrity chef star-struck moments. I think Tyler Florence is going to be at the festival, and if you listen to the Joy the Baker Podcast, you know I must find my way to him.
All good things. Blessings, really. Aaaand I’m going to need some introvert time for the rest of the summer. I can only pretend not to be the shy person I really am in quick bursts.
I hope you’ve had a great week and I hope you’re looking forward to a perfect summer weekend. Let there be sangria and sunscreen. Pie too!
Here are a few things on my mind and on the Internet:
• I’m working on making new friends in New Orleans. It’s been really wonderful to have new faces and perspectives come into my life. It’s really inspiring. This month I hosted a dinner Anna Watson Carl of The Yellow Table. She’s traveling around the country gathering strangers and friends around dinner tables to promote her new cookbook! It seemed like the perfect fit for my friend-making endeavors. We filled my humble dinner table with new friends and beautiful food. I’ll share the Strawberry Raspberry Crostata I made for the party next week!
• If you need a berry dessert for the weekend, because heck yes you do… right!? Peach and Raspberry Crumble is supreme.
• I’m super smitten with these Toucan stud earrings! This season’s pineapple / tropical trend continues.
• I talked about facing fears and slowing down on The Jess Lively Podcast . She has a great show! Check it out!
• This Boozey Bourbon Milk Tea with Bourbon Soaked Boba sounds soooooo very good!!
• My friend Kristin told me about an awesome website about New Orleans! It’s called Invade (goinvade.com). It’s a locals look into where to go, what to do, who to know, and what music to listen to. If you plan on visiting New Orleans definitely check this site!
• I Already Want To Take A Nap Tomorrow
• I really want to make Fresh Spring Rolls this summer. I also want to make fresh Jelly Doughnuts. Actually… maybe I just want to eat Spring Rolls and Jelly Doughnuts. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if I really want to make something or if I just want to gobble it up.
Have a lovely weekend! If you’re interested in following my Aspen Food and Wine adventures, find me on Instagram @joythebaker. If not, I’ll be back in my kitchen next week taking pictures of food and my cat. You know…
I just made fresh spring rolls for the first time last night. They’re so refreshing and fun! It was a little like taco night where we composed our own as we ate. Today I used the leftover rice noodles, herbs, and julienned veggies to make a salad and it was delicious!
Aww another JOY. This def caught my attention :)
Let’s hear it for all the Joys in the world!
Come to Toronto one day! I’m an editor at a magazine that would be more than enticed! Cookies or not (though cookies always make everything better!).
i would love to make it up to toronto!
I hope it’s going well with the cookbook and that you’ll meet Tyler :-) As usual I love reading your posts!
A really cool Nola site that is just getting started is YouOrleans.com. Definitely check it out. The guy who runs it, Stephen, is a real doll. He wants to show a local’s perspective and films different chefs and shop owners talking about their perfect day in New Orleans. I hope to run into you around town some day :) Hope the summer is treating you well so far! It sure is heating up here.
That place setting….ahhhh. …I’m feeling inspired.
Yes to berries, and here in the Midwest, to rhubarb. And yes to pie.
Hope you got your nap. Nothin’ better during the slow heat of a summer afternoon.
Gerry @ Foodness Gracious
Spring rolls filled with jelly noodles would be king in my house…have a great weekend :)