[F]orgive me, belly. I’ve done you wrong. I mean… I’ve done you so so so right, but wrong wrong wrong.
I’ve done you with too much macaroni and cheese. I’ve done you with ALL of the gumbo in New Orleans, the smothered greens, the doughnuts, the doughnuts again… I’m sorry. It was delicious so you’re welcome… and I’m sorry.
You deserve a break. Enjoy this salad. It’s just about time to start making fudge. Hold on tight.
Let’s talk about these green things.
Kale is chopped nice and fine. It’s raw and fibrous so smaller bites are better.
Romaine lettuce is light and crunchy… chop that business nice and fine, too!
Tangerines and sweet and perfect right now. Grab those.
Avocados for always, and sesame seeds because we’re going to need something to get stuck in our teeth to embarrass us later. If you want to leave out the sesame seeds, you might as well go ahead and walk around with your pants zipper accidentally unzipped to properly embarrass yourself. It’s the way of a Monday.
To soften my kale, I rubbed it with a bit of olive oil and sea salt. It’s a kale massage… a totally normal thing to do.
Once the kale is massaged, the dressing ingredients go into a small jar.
Rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, pepper. Toss is a tiny bit of fresh, minced garlic if you’re feeling it.
In a jar. Seal the lid Shake like mad.
Citrus segments and avocado are a dream combination. Bright and juicy meets soft and creamy. As the salad is tossed together, the orange segments may split and the avocado may mash a bit making these elements a lovely addition to the sesame dressing.
More with the sesame, salt, and pepper.
Now is a good time for you to grab a fork. Your belly will thank you for this not-doughnut-salad.
Not that you’ve been eating doughnut salads… that’s me. I’ve been all over that.Print
Kale, Avocado, Tangerine, and Sesame Salad
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
- 3 heaping cups clean and well-chopped kale
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 3 heaping cups clean and well-chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tangerines, peeled and divided into segments
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Massage the oil and salt into the kale.
- Add the romaine, tangerines, and avocado the the bowl.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, and pepper. Place the lid on the jar and shake vigorously until emulsified. If you don’t have a jar, whisk the ingredients together in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the greens, oranges, and avocados. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2 large or 4 small servings