[H]ello, my friends. The days here in New Orleans have been amiable, the streets buzzing with energy, and there’s just something in the air… I can’t quite put my finger on it… it’s a fussy energy. An unsettled hum.
I took the long way home on Wednesday thinking I might run into some Eric Garner related demonstrations. No. Just brass sounds from young boys. I also found a few streets that I haven’t walked through in the French Quarter and the dwindling day’s light felt dusty and solemn.
The days between Thanksgiving and the end of the year are a mash, aren’t they? It’s hard to find the room for silence amidst the holiday rush, diamond ring television commercials, blog gift guides, and cookie swaps.
The world is still churning. Here’s what the Internet has to say about it. Distilled:
• What the Eric Garner Grand Jury Didn’t See. We have to see what’s going on. We really have to see.
• Weekend read: ISIS: What the US Doesn’t Understand
• The Golden Quarter: some of our greatest cultural and technological achievements took place between 1945 and 1971. Think about it… civil rights, television, space travel, medicine. And what do we have to say for ourselves now?
• Totally Obsessed: the new age of cultural manias. Ultimately, we’re obsessed with being obsessed. How trite.
• Chris Rock on all things.
• Here’s what we’re going to do… just so you know, it involves a shark tank and a fool-hearted sense of fear. Let’s go! Fear gives my brain the same rush as love.
• How To Be Powerful Likeable and Female from Jenna Lyons. Capable, kind, bossy, and all the other things, too!
• Sorry food critics / NOT SORRY. From Dallas’ top kitchens, reviewer Leslie Brenner is feeling the heat.
• Let’s stay on these coffee trends, ok? Flat White Coffee
• Meet the denim breakers: the people who are paid to break in your designer jeans.
• Now NBC’s The Voice sold 20 million songs without a single star. I mean… this might-could be a problem. What are we actually doing?
• This blog is beautiful! Fork Knife Swoon. So many lovely holiday recipes!
• Last holiday season I made Lip Gloss from scratch. It was a very good idea.
• Speaking of lips. I love a nude… and these lipstick containers remind me of something my mom would have in her purse when I was young.
You deserve a great day. Happy Sunday!