Hello, my friends! I’m happy it’s Sunday. I’m happy we’re here together. Remember last week when I was like aaaahhhh I CAN’T DEAL! Well.. it was a beast, but I’m a fighter. I’m back in the mix feeling positive. Thank you for your kind words.
How have we come to the end of our Summer days? I can hardly believe it, and I need to get hustling on my Summer Bucket List. I know that our summer days are coming to a close because all of the college kids have come back to town to live it up (and presumably get educated) at Loyola and Tulane. It’s nothing but flip flops and snapchat everywhere I turn Uptown. I wish I were kidding.
I hope you are relentless in your enjoyment of this day. It’s a good one and we’re lucky to be breathing in it.
Here are some of the things this week has brought us:
• This week marks the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina’s devastation in the southeast. Here’s a map of what the flooding looked like in New Orleans: Anatomy of a Flood. New Orleans is strong and steady. Strong and steady.
• “Since 1980, more than 260,000 black men have been killed in America. Mitch Landrieu, mayor of New Orleans, is on a crusade to stop the killing.” A Matter of Black Lives Thank you for the link, Theresa!
• When the truth hurts. Is it better to know the hard truths we face about our health and relationships or is it better to stay in the dark? Interested in a candle in the dark? A flashlight? Something less than a floodlight? No. Whole truth, even when it hurts. This is a lesson I’m learning all the way.
• The Incredible Life and Haunting Death of World Traveler Harry Devert. You lived so big and well. Rest in peace.
• Remember when we were all hooked on the Serial Podcast? Update: New Evidence in Favor of Adnan Syed Could Overturn Conviction.
• Charming and wise: How To Age Gracefully.
• A few years ago, Jessica Koslow taught me how to make jam. Bonkers awesome!
• Eating late is bad for you. Confirmed. But when else am I going to eat all these BBQ potato chips? I don’t understand. I don’t.
• Are we in a situation where we can’t not like Taylor Swift? Yes.
• Now would be the best time to get in ALL OF THE SUMMER TELEVISION WATCHING before it’s too late. Here’s what I binged. It felt so good / so bad. Lifetime Network’s Unreal, a play on the popular show The Bachelor. Dude this show….
I also watched ALL of HBO’s The Jinx over the course of two airline flights. Have you seen this show!? Did it deeply disturb you? GAWD!
• Reading: Divided Soul: The Life of Marvin Gaye
Have a beautiful day! I’m rooting for you in it.