Listen up. It’s time to take our weekend-ing seriously. Most of us get two preciously consecutive days away from work and we need to make the most of it… but not in an overachiever, do-all-the-things kind of way. We need to take our maxing and relaxing into consideration. There should also be sunshine (where possible), and eggs.
The weekend. Here’s how:
• Don’t put too much pressure on Friday night. Friday night is actually the best night for a mellow yoga class, a bowl of really extravagant popcorn (for dinner), and a Netflix binge. Friday is also an excellent night to think about how much freedom you have in the coming days. These thoughts, will be essential as the weekend progresses.
• Get the chores out of the way. By this I mean… get up, shuffle to Home Depot wearing your finest sleep sweats, buy that dang thing you need to buy, take it home and do the dang thing you need to do with it. Vacuum, clean the bathroom mirror, wipe down the night stands, Do just enough so that you feel good about yourself, and when unexpected company comes over, they won’t judge your toothpaste flecks on the bathroom mirror. They’ll judge other stuff, but that’s because they’re jerks that came over unannounced.
• Find at least one day in the weekend where you don’t set your alarm. All too often we wake up to the blaring beep of our alarm clocks. Enough is enough. Sleep, with enthusiasm… like a bear. Now, if you have children… those critters seem to be natural alarm clocks. That’s on you. You made that with your body. I don’t know what to tell you.
• Standing in line for Brunch is trifling unless you are with your coolest friends and have the right fashion sunglasses. It’s mostly an exercise in hangry under-caffeination. The words “the coolest brunch spot” are NIGHTMARE WORDS if you actually want coffee and breakfast.
My solution, make breakfast. AKA ‘morning food adult-ing’. I can help you with this. Here are your tools:
• Put down the phone for at least an hour. Read a book. Flip through a magazine. Stare at the wall without thinking about Instagram. I’m reading Fates and Furies. SO GOOD it almost makes me mad. Good-angry is a thing.
• Spend some time looking another human in the eye, listen to what they have to say, and respond with heart. Crazy, right?
• Go outside even if that means going out on the patio to water the potted plants and dig around in the dirt while your cat chases lizards.
• Find some adventure, large or small. Poach an egg like a boss if you don’t know how. Wear a hat you don’t usually wear. Go for a neighborhood walk and get a little lost. Is it possible to get just a little lost? Not like… Blair Witch lost… not like LOST, lost. How about misplaced? Get misplaced in your city…that basically means wandering around looking for good coffee you’ve never tried before. Do that. Keep it simple.
• Here’s the thing… with ever good weekend comes a Sunday night. Sunday nights can be the toughest part of the week. The end of the weekend coupled with gnawing anticipation of the week ahead. As far as I can tell, the only cure for the Sunday Night Stresses is bourbon, which… isn’t true, but also isn’t not true. To avoid the Sunday Stresses, pep-talk yourself into calm because Monday isn’t usually as bad as it seems in our crazy brains and even if it is, we’re strong and capable and bigger and badder and bossier (more bossy).
Well. Here we go! Let’s weekend!
For our future selves: 11 Ways To Get Through This Monday