We made it! If we were working for the weekend, it looks like the weekend has finally cozied up next to us for a spell – not a moment too soon.
I wrote the book on brunch… and if not the book on brunch, certainly a book on brunch. Does my inflection translate?
In Over Easy you’ll find a recipe for a Michelada For Many. A big pitcher of this beer-based, Bloody Mary-ish, bright and tangy cocktail. This weekend, there’s no need to dust off and wash clean the big pitcher – we’re keeping our cocktails in the can.
We’re nothing if not devestatingly classy. Happy Weekending to you!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• a six pack (or more) of Mexican beer.
• Bloody Mary mix.
• Clam juice (yes, clam juice)
• Limes and hot sauce
• Taco seasoning and kosher salt (trust)
And a glass to pour off extra beer. And hot peppers for garnish if you’re into that sort of thing.
This version of a Michelada is made up mostly of a lighter Mexican beer combined with a hint of spicy tomato juice, salty clam juice, lime, hot sauce, and a salty rim.
We’ll need a bit of room in our beer cans to add the extra goodness. Either pour a big sip or two from each beer off into a glass OR, if your friends are over, have them take a big ol sip of their own beer to make some space.
To the can, add an ounce or more of Bloody Mary Mix.
Add a splash of clam juice. Just a good splash. Once the mixture is all happy and combined, you won’t be able to pick out the clam juice as anything crazy but you have a salty sea element to your cocktail.
Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce. We’re hitting all the flavor combinations in one drink.
Mmmmkay. Here’s where things get extra classy.
I mixed half a package of taco seasoning with kosher salt. Think of this like lining the rim of a margarita class with salt. We’re just adding the extra kick of chili powder and cumin and whathaveyou.
As you’re sprinkling the taco seasoning salt over the rim and into the beer, be warmed – it may foam and froth.
Add lime, inside and out. Garnish with a hot pepper and enjoy this weekend. It’s what we’ve got!
Garnish this weekend drink with any and everything that feels right to you. Pickled carrots and jalapeños? Go for it!
Photos with Jon Melendez.Print
- Chilled Mexican beer (six-pack or more)
- ½ ounce per can, Bloody Mary Mix
- 1 wedge per can, Fresh Limes
- splash per can, Clam Juice
- few dashes of hot sauce
- Mexican Taco Spice + kosher salt
- Fresh lime wedges and hot peppers for serving
- Wash the top of each can. Pour just under 1/4 cup of the beer out of the can into a large glass. Into the beer can mix bloody mary mix, lime, clam juice and hot sauce. Sprinkle the top of the can generously with the taco seasoning salt. Garnish with lime wedges and hot peppers and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6