Hello sweet friends!
Tell me you’re deep into this weekend feeling your finest! I’ve indulgently got the heater running, and so far have the Christmas lights up on my tree. It’s been one of those weekends with lots of joy and gathering, some chores and some sorrow, but here we are greeting another day with gratitude.
Here’s some of the links that struck me this week. I hope you find a handful of food reads:
• All the garbage comes and goes but be happy, be thankful – getting old helps. It’s Thanksgiving. Be Happy.
• Here’s something we can do in the midst of this year’s holiday smash: How To Fine Tune Your Gratitude Practice.
• This article from 1971 still holds strong. Truly, who wouldn’t want a wife!? I Want A Wife.
• Getting a dog may save your life, especially if you’re single. You hear that, Tron? Either we’re getting a dog or you’re doing to have to get into walking on a leash.
• Do you understand what’s happening with the fight for Net Neutrality ? We need it. We need to not lose it and here’s how to fight for it.
• Ok so this is either about grass clippings or politics… but probably grass clippings: The Bizarre True Story of the Neighborhood Scuffle That left Rand Paul with Six Broken Ribs
• Celebrity DJ Paris Hilton Says She Invented The Selfie, the NYT investigates. Sit down, be humble, LOL forever.
• I’ll tell you what, I was a miiiiighty fine cookie seller in my day. Correction: my parent’s sold to everyone at their jobs and I would stand outside of grocery stores every weekend selling cookies so really it was a family effort but humbly, we nailed it. Also, more importantly: How a Girl Scout Sold The Most Cookies in Brooklyn and she’s sharper than all of us. Bravo.
• Will you make homemade holiday presents this year? Here are a few things to get workin’: Homemade Vanilla Extract // Homemade Lip Gloss // Homemade Warming Mustard Bath
• I have a big ol piece of ham in my refrigerator that is about to be Split Pea Soup in case you wonder what I’ll be eating until next March.
• This will be helpful: 20 Quick and Easy Dinners from The Kitchn.
• Just wanted to let you know this gold sequin cat pillow is on sale.
• If you’re into true crime like meeeeeee – I’m listening to Season 2 of Accused.
Enjoy this fine day!
Thanks for the podcast suggestion! Have you listened to the podcast Ear Hustle yet? It is done by the inmates at San Quentin Prison in California and it’s so good!
“I Want a Wife” is sadly so so true.
Thanks for the link to “I Want A Wife.” I followed the link in the article to her 2007 radio interview and really enjoyed it. It’s definitely worth a listen.
ohhh! I’ve been looking for a podcast story — this one looks good. Did you listen to Dirty John — very good! I also now wonder — when is the next Serial coming out?!?
Taste of France
That wife piece is priceless. Can’t believe I missed it on NY magazine. The original was before my time. But ouch, can I relate. Working 12-14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week, impossible to get in grocery shopping or laundry let along gym time. And the married guys went home and found dinner made and their shirts ironed.
Martha in KS
I was a Brownie/Girl Scout before they took orders (in the 50’s) – we just took home cookies & sold them. My dad was a plant manager & took CASES of cookies to work. Who could say no to the boss? He always sold every box. We didn’t have competitions, but I’m sure we would’ve won. It takes a village…
Happy Sunday to you! It just would’nt be Sunday without you!
Sorry, couldn’t figure out where to comment and ended up posting something inane. Just wanted to tell you how much I look forward to and enjoy your Sunday posts.