Hello dear friends! A year ago this week I was in the kitchen at the White House, making holiday cookies with Ashley and Molly and oooohhh just the White House Pastry Chef. Exactly 1 trillion things have happened since that time. Just all the stuff that makes us cheer and cry, scream and wonder, and hopefully act more generously with our empathy and genuine curiosity for one another. Hopefully.
I’ve been in San Francisco visiting my maj (a maj is a best friend, a major) this past week. The skies are bright blue, the air feels easy, we’ve gotten to spend some really sweet and important time together, and as a bonus, I’ve made a post 10pm webmd self diagnosis that I really think I’m right about.
Everyday is a winding road. Sheryl Crow had it right all along.
Here’s some words from this week:
• Medium has a series of essays gathered together as Words That Matter. There are all sorts of important writers and thinkers who have offered essays to the group including Margaret Atwood, Roxane Gay, Hillary Clinton and John McCain. May I humbly suggest you get into it?
• This is a profound piece of writing about a woman who explores the topography of tears. About grief and gratitude, joy and pain, capturing the small details of all of it: The Tears of Rose-Lynn Fisher. Thank you for sharing this with me, Suzonne!
• How many starving polar bears to we have to see on Facebook before we act differently? Things you can do to reduce global warming.
• This year’s TIME’s Person of the Year is The Silence Breakers. This, at a moment when it feels also like, oooh wait… is it all too much? Too bad.
• Related: Inside the demise of Al Franken.
• This is juicy and accurate: The Consumerist Church of Fitness Classes.
• The search for the best chocolate chip cookies is over and humbly, it’s mine.
• Related: The Best Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
• I spent some time with my maj Tracy this week. We went on an adventure to this Aftel Archive of Curious Scents in Berkeley CA. It’s such a unique experience. Please go!
• I’m working on 2018 workshops at The Bakehouse and I’d really like you all to come make this Galette Des Rois (a French King Cake) with me.
• Appropriately festive reading and it’s snowing in places it shouldn’t be snowing so… Christmas Days: 12 stories and 12 feasts for 12 days.
Enjoy today and Happy Sunday!