It’s that time of year again!
BUCKET LIST buck•et list (noun): a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have accomplished during their lifetime. Also, a 2007 comedic film featuring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson.
SUMMER BUCKET LIST sum•mer buck•et list (noun): a list of things that a person would like to accomplish and experience during the summer months. If done correctly, should involve water balloons, ice cream, and a pool party or two.
Here’s my Summer Bucket List. It’s pretty simple this year because my biggest intention is to make space. Slow it all down and make space to learn and create. It’s a luxury, but it’s also entirely necessary. I hope this list inspires some playful and quiet intentions for your warm months.
• Complete yoga teacher training and keep a journal. I’m committed to this all summer and I’ll share bits of it along the way as I gain perspective. I’m really excited. (I’m also really nervous.) (Such is the beginning of things.)
• See my sister Sweet Lo in Seattle – also I can’t wait to visit our girl Ashley Rodriguez at her new kitchen and shop! Trust that there will be some sort of ice cream and cookie popup sometime this summer in Seattle.
• Make root beer. Although I’m also thinking of making homemade cola, too. Maybe I’m just thirsty. Goal still stands.
• Have a big backyard party. Like, everyone I know + an inflatable pool + tequila + oysters on the grill. Okaaayy?
• Finish that book proposal. Not to worry. I’ve got my teeth in it now.
• Put your body in a new body of water. Something like, a new-to-me lake or river or bright blue ocean. I have plans for Mexico, fingers crossed.
• Make space to create and learn and be curious. SPACE and all its value.
Want to take a look at Summer Bucket Lists from the past few years?
Summer Bucket List, 2017! I’m still working on getting that piano. I’m having patience with myself and my bank account.
Summer Bucket List, 2016! Yep – that was a damn fine summer.
Summer Bucket List, 2015! That was a sweet little patio in the summertime.
What’s on your list this summer? I bet you’ve got some good plans.
Joy…I’m a new follower who very much enjoys your ‘voice’ (and the recipes, of course!), especially your
‘Let if be Sunday’ posts…that said, your Bucket List demonstrates an artistic flair worth mentioning…the
watercolor illustrations are quite lovely…but, oddly enough, what keeps bringing me back to the ‘cover’
page is that little ceramic figure (bird?) on top of the mason jar…what can you tell me about it? Did you
make it? Will definitely look for a popup in Seattle this summer and perhaps it’ll coincide with a trip there from Whidbey Island where I live…cookies and ice cream..what could be better ?!?
I am going to float the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels, TX for my 30th birthday at the end of the month. Have you been there? Could that be your new body of water? Because…that would be the best 30th birthday present ever to have you there! You’re very much invited.
i’m moving to Ghana for 6 months a week from today… so my I’ll have 6 months to complete my summer bucket list! I need to visit the slave castles, go to the beach, learn French, and visit a new country in West Africa.
Best of luck with yoga instructor course… can’t wait til you teach classes!! My bucket list this summer; seeing James Taylor at Tanglewood on 4th of July !??
and taking a jam and preserves course with little sugar and pectin at BU Culinary in Boston?
Go joy! I’m continually impressed with you.
My husband is a piano teacher and is always bemoaning his adult students. With few exceptions they start with great energy and then quit after 1 year or so. But I’m sure you’ll be the exception as you’ve already done many hard things. In this case the hard thing is to stay motivated, for years of boring and repetitive practice every day, which is the only way to learn piano.
My bucket list is to make lots of collages, build more shelving in my apartment, take a 2 week vacation on the cheap, find 2 new clients, and go in the ocean.
Inspiring! I love to watercolor too.