This week would probably be best measured in hours of Law & Order SVU reruns I’ve watched. How many hours are in a week? Let’s just ballpark that 40% of those hours involved Olivia Benson. I don’t want to do the math, I just want to be loosely honest with you.
It’s too soon to complain about the heat. Also, no one wants to hear it.
I’m working on some meal prep for myself today. It’s to keep me from eating a box of Hot Tamales as a meal. Here’s what I think I’m going to make: Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs(JtB), something with sweet potatoes (?), this Summer Minestrone Soup (NYT), and more cookies from the Sweet Laurel Bakery Cookbook (Amazon). And just maybe these Raspberry Gin Slushies (JtB)for kicks.
I hope you’ve been happy and well this week.
Here’s some reading for the week! Take whatcha need:
• Just across the border, the city of Tijuana is a City of Exiles. Some perspective. We always need it. (The California Sunday Magazine)
• Why Do Americans Refuse To Give Up Tampons? Listen… let me just do what I need to do, ok? Those cups are not for the faint of heart – and I’m not saying I have a faint heart – it’s just all very intense. (The New Republic)
• Here’s the long-read I’m reading through this weekend. It’s true crime and you know I like to SSDGM: Blood Will Tell. “The murder of Mickey Bryan, a quiet fourth-grade teacher, stunned her small Texas town. Then her husband, a beloved high school principal, was charged with killing her. Did he do it, or had there been a terrible mistake?” Part II is here when you’re ready for it. (ProPublica)
• I fell down the internet this week and landed in this place where my heart ached: My husband passed away suddenly. (The Everygirl)
• Let’s think about our summer bods with the podcast Call Your Girlfriend!
• Let’s make these fishtail friendship bracelets. I know… I’m obsessed. I just need to make the time to braid. (Heywanderblog)
• Treat yourself to something breezy! These linen summer dresses ethically made in California by Pyne and Smith.
• One of my very favorite New Orleans makers: Smoke Perfume.
• Here’s what to listen to this week: the Ologies podcast with Alie Ward. The latest episode on Cynology (we’re talking dogs!) is heart warming, heart breaking, super informative, and funny… very funny!
• Ok so Vermont will pay you $10,000 to move there and work remotely. Let’s fire up Zillow and start daydreaming! (Quartz)
• The Interview, featuring me, Joy. (Leave It To Leonor)
• This is where I talk for a moment about Real Housewives of New York City. It’s about Carole. We’re quickly approaching her Last Great Summer. We’re in the deep cut here. It’s more normal if you don’t have any idea what I’m talking about. OK but if you DO know what I’m talking about: here’s the shirt you need. (TeePublic)
Enjoy this day! What a gift, ya know?