I bought my dad a milkshake yesterday. Strawberry – a solid choice though I remember him ordering Pineapple Malts when I was a kid which tipped me off early to his playful food genius. It’s pretty sweet sharing a milkshake with Dad, any flavor, any age.
The offering today is a milkshake – roasty, toasty, and sweet. And while we’re past the summer days (someone tell that to the heat and humidity in New Orleans), and while we’re starting to fluff our sweaters and think about roasting our vegetables – the invitation is to subvert all that a make ourselves a small toasty milkshake.
I published this recipe years and years ago on my blog. 2010… so a very chill 8 years ago. It’s so good it’s worth a reminder because ICE CREAM and MARSHMALLOWS.
Start by toasting marshmallows – a worthy pastime – standing over a gas stove with a skewer and a stack of fluffy marshmallows. Toast to burnt. It’s the burnt sugar that makes the toasted marshmallow milkshake taste like toasted marshmallows. Now is no time for a golden toast. Flame is what we’re going for.
Blend toasted marshmallows with scoops of vanilla ice cream and a big splash of whole milk. Coconut milk ice cream and coconut milk is also delicious. Any way you milk and cream it is a step in the right direction. It’s indulgent and comforting and almost as good as a pineapple malt.
Photos with my friend Jon Melendez.Print
Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
- This recipe makes one large or two small milkshakes
- 8–10 large marshmallows
- 3 large scoops vanilla ice cream or a heaping 1-cup of vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place marshmallows on skewer and toast until slightly charred over a gas flame. If you don’t have skewers or a gas range, you can toast the marshmallows on a sheet tray in the broiler for 2 or 3 minutes. Keep an eye on the marshmallows as they’re in the oven. They’re liable to burst into marshmallow flames pretty quick. Place on a plate to cool slightly.
- In a blender mix together ice cream, milk, vanilla extract and toasted marshmallows. Save one or two toasted marshmallows to top the milkshake(s). Blend well. For a thinner milkshake add more milk. If you’d like it a bit thicker… add more ice cream. Pour into glasses and top with toasted marshmallows. Enjoy on the quick.