Hello dear friends!
I hope this finds you fully steeped in this holiday weekend. The days feel a little sideways but that’s the nature of a Thursday holiday. I spent the entire week at home in New Orleans which, for some reason, feels like it hasn’t happened in a while and feels like an absolute treat, humidity and all. I’ve been doing things around the house that make me feel grounded. I’ve replanted some beauties in the backyard. I realized that my front office had become more of a closet than a functional room and I managed to tackle that so… well, at least I can see the floors and the couch again.
Life requires so much maintenance and while I quite enjoy a lot of it… my how it can get away from me. It has felt good to dig into it before I fly away from it again this weekend.
I’m taking a short work trip to Toronto, filming as a judge on one of those race-to-make-it Food Network shows. Gosh what do I know? I guess we’ll see! I’m nervous but I’m not going to act like I’m not nervous which is how I get through most things.
I hope this finds you well. I hope you’re learning what it means to be your best summer self. If not, there’s time. Take good care today. The offering this week is below, take only what you need:
• Are we doomed to repetition? A Crime By Any Name. (The Atlantic)
• This is wild: Hooked: A raging heroin addiction fueled a Boeing engineer’s year-long, 30 bank robbery spree. (Bloomberg)
• Terry Gross is a national treasure and I mean those words most sincerely. “Tell me about yourself.” How To Talk To People, According to Terry Gross. (The New York Times)
• Girl , get em! Living Alone Is a Revolutionary Act (Medium)
• This is dicey at best: ‘Can I Still Charge My Boyfriend Rent Once We’re Married?’ I’m of the Whoopi Goldberg philosophy: I don’t want a man in my house (unless I do, then he can come visit). (The Cut)
• I’m already sorry for getting this song stuck in your head for the next 2.75 years. How the Santana and Rob Thomas Song ‘Smooth’ Because as Essential as Sex (Esquire)
• Our friend Kristin puts an incredible amount of love and care into her garden and this article is exciting and inspiring: How a Stylist DIY-ed Her Dream Greenhouse from a Prefab Kit. Kristin detailed more of her project here: customizing a greenhouse (Domino and Dine x Design)
• I cried so much. It’s thick with beauty and just… humanity: The Lingering of Loss (The New Yorker)
• This week I listened to Forever 35 Podcast with Elizabeth Gilbert. She speaks about grief and creativity in a way I’ve never heard. Add it to you list of listens this week! (Forever 35)
• This feels relevant: A Brief History of S’mores. (Time)
• And because we can’t read about s’mores without enjoying s’mores: Toasted S’mores Squares. (Joy the Baker)
• I love my space but it’s also fun to daydream a refresh: 8 Furniture Brands You Should Know About – & Why. (Food 52)
• It’s never too late to develop a deep love for slushies. Here’s my favorite from a few summers back: Strawberry and Raspberry Rose Slushies (Joy the Baker)
We’re staying hydrated. We’re staying moisturized. We’re enjoying these fine days!
My love to you!