Hello my friends!
Welcome to another fine Sunday! So many of you threw your praise hands up for the article on the mental work of cooking last week – linked here if you missed it. RIGHT? We see each other. That feels good.
Are you dressing up for Halloween? I’m invited to a big New Orleans Halloween party and our love for costumes is pretty serious. I was thinking of dressing as Carole Radziwill as Amelia Earhart. Too Real Housewives niche?
Am I experimenting with Lizzo lyrics on cake? Sure am.
I’m going to Maine on a whim this week which is precisely why, last week, I tried my best to fit two weeks of work into one. Was I successful? Lol. I’ll sure see. Either way – let there be oyster and lobster and fall foliage.
The offering this week is below. It’s on the lighter side until the news settles some. I hope you find something you need:
• This is how we’re trying to live in the world without burning it down: Alone in the Dark in the Bay Area. (The Atlantic)
• Listening to this: Still Processing: The Transformation of Dave Chapelle (The New York Times)
• Rihanna, tell us. (Vogue)
• Why You Never See Your Friends Anymore. Honestly this makes a lot of sense and I can feel it. You, too? (The Atlantic)
• We have to fix this. Invite friends over this week. This is an emergency. One Pot Family Dinners That Cost Less Than $10. (The Kitchn)
• My favorite fall cookbook so far Whole Food Cooking Every Day by Amy Chaplin linked here on Amazon and IndieBound. It’s filled with super healthful base recipes and loads of inspiration and variations. It’s vibrant and colorful and really so heartfelt.
• I thought I was saving Eileen Fisher for my later years but you know what? I’m starting now, I’m ready for these loose linens because they’ve been trying towards sustainability for years. Eileen Fisher Celebrates A Decade of Resale Program. (The Cut)
• Y’all I didn’t know we were doing this. What Does Huffing A Sharpie Really Do To Your Brain? This is not to age to die from Sudden Sniffing Death, deal? (Mel Magazine)
• The song I’ve had on repeat this week: Seventeen. Join me in this screams(Spotify)
• It’s not pumpkin spice season I’m after. It’s almost time for Sweet Potato Pie and you know it! (Joy the Baker)
• What’s the best Halloween candy? Chocolate-topped Candy Corn is the correct answer. (No link.. that was just me being me at you.)
• Are you going to watch El Camino? (Netflix)
Have a wonderful Sunday!
More from me later this week.
My love to you.
That cake makes me so happy. I saw Lizzo in concert Monday night in SanFrancisco and she was truly dazzling.
Don’t forget that Maine has a great craft beer industry. There are so many great breweries!
Plus, in Portland, you must check out The Holy Donut. The dark chocolate seas salt is amazing! There are 3 locations in the Portland area. What beignets are to New Orleans, potato donuts are to Maine!
As an indie bookseller (and long-time reader!) I so appreciate the link to indiebound for cookbooks! It truly means the world. And hey, if you’re ever in DC and want to do a book event, we’d love to have you at One More Page!