I hope today finds you slow and warm, feeling like you have more than you need. Luxury, right?
I’ve spent the week in the great state of Maine exploring Portland, Bethel, and Mt Desert Island. I’ve eaten so many of the best, most reasonably priced oysters. I’ve lazed around bookstores and hiked through forests and generally had a really lovely time during one of the busiest times of my year. Proof positive that everything will eventually get done and life is for the living (and not the always working).
I’ve fallen gleefully behind on my daily news podcast and couldn’t much tell you what’s happening in Washington, but I will tell you… WOW these Maine leaves are wild!
The offering this week is below. It’s a bit of a vacation edition. Thank you for being with me in it:
• Rep Elijah Cummings rose from segregated childhood to powerful political voice in Baltimore, Washington. (The Baltimore Sun)
• This is a really wonderful read on immigrant food Made In America (Voraciously, The Washington Post)
• All week long I’ve been fortunate enough to explore Acadia National Park and I hope you get to put your eyes on it too. (NPS)
• I don’t have a passion for sports leagues but the human stories always make me stop and feel: The Unbreakable Bond. (ESPN)
• Bresha Meadows Thought You’d Understand. (HuffPost)
• Ok sooooo, am I ready to start a summer camp for adults? (Mel Magazine)
• The song I’m listening to this week: Michael Kiwanuka’s Piano Joint. (Spotify)
• Here’s what I’m making for dinner this week: Chicken Meatball Tikka Masala. (The Candid Appetite)
• Let Brittany Howard take you away for a few in this Tiny Desk Concert. (NPR)
• Stop everything! Thrifty is finally selling their cylindrical ice cream scoops. If you grew up in Los Angeles his is vvvvv big news. (LA Mag)
• Goes to Maine once, lives in this jacket forever. (Nordstrom Rack)
I hope this Sunday is a good one for you.
My love to you.