Hello sweet friends,
We sure did make it to another fine Sunday. It doesn’t matter what condition we’re in. It’s Sunday and hopefully we can spend at least an extended amount of time in our pajamas.
You know that idiom ‘you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time’? It’s a weird one and wow that poor elephant but also – I feel like I’m taking really bit bites this month. I can’t wait to show you what I’m working on later this summer (for IGTV) and then this fall (on magazine racks) and then forever and ever because I think I like the big bites.
I hope this find you with a moment of mellow. The offering this week is below. It’s a short list this week but you’ll find and take what you need.
• Maybe this was your first year experimenting with the words “Happy Juneteenth”. Cool cool: Juneteenth: freedom is in the telling. Oooh tell em. This month also marks 53 years since the the Supreme Court struck down anti-miscegenation in Loving v. Virginia. A Happy Loving Day to you. (New York Times)
• Hello from New Orleans. Rising Seas Threaten An American Institution: The 30 Year Mortgage. I feel like, weather aside, we could stand to revisit the institution. (New York Times)
• The battle over masks in a pandemic: an all-American story. Wow we really just dig in to who we are, don’t we? (Washington Post)
• I’ve had discussions this week with black friends about the Venmo money they’re getting from their white friends. This was something that ran through social media for a week or so, right? Pretty wild. Here’s a podcast about it: Reply All Podcast: The Least You Can Do. (Gimlet Media)
• This is my favorite read of the week thanks to Ann Friedman: Capture Laugh. I miss my friends’ laughs so much. The kind that change the energy in the room. The kind that makes laughter bubble up in me, too. Since podcasts are my new friends, I will say that Sarah Marshall‘s laugh is now near and dear to my heart. (SSense and Twitter)
• Speaking of Sarah Marshall, co-host of You’re Wrong About, one of the best podcasts in podcast land – there are two important episodes of The OJ Simpson Trial: Bronco Chase AND and episode about Nancy Grace that is v important. (Apple Podcast)
• Have you watched Padma’s new food show on Hulu? Taste the Nation with Padma Lakshmi is really thoughtful and just fantastic to watch. She’s beauty and grace and curious and eats EVERYTHING just as it should be.
• I miss people coming to visit me in New Orleans and I miss taking everyone to Preservation Hall. This week’s listen: Preservation Hall Jazz Band. (Spotify)
• It’s summer and I’m craving fair food: Fried Blueberry Hand Pies. You really don’t need much oil to fry your pies! How’s that for a pep talk? (Joy the Baker)
• Here’s what was on my mind one year ago this week. I was in Toronto. This was a good week. (Joy the Baker)
My love to you bigtime!