Hello friends, good morning!
I hope this finds you with a few good minutes for yourself.
The week after Thanksgiving feels similar to me every year. There’s a glow from a few extra days of rest (and maybe for you, a few extra family hands around the help with the kids), there’s a settling from all the stuffing and gravy leftovers, and there’s a hint of mania as we tumble towards the gifting holidays.
I feel like my feet are heavy but my head wants a strong push to the end of the year.
Speaking of heavy feet. I played tennis for the first time a few weeks ago. Was I terrible? Of course I was! Did that stop me? Almost (hahahha) but, no. My boyfriend/patient/ just-do-what-I-do tennis teacher said “you need to be lighter on your feet”. My question “LITERALLY HOW!?” I want to be light and fast everyday but some days it’s a real question of where to pull that energy from. Let’s hope that just trying counts for something.
How are you feeling about the holidays? I’m splurging on care packages as holiday gifts this year. I won’t be able to see all the people I love, which… pandemic or not, is usually the case, so a thoughtful care package feels extra important this year. My packages have shaped up to be a mixture of baked goods (I’ll show you how I preserve them next week), a few of my favorite things from around New Orleans, a little something from The Bakehouse, and a note + picture of me and the recipient from years past. Really, whatever feels thoughtful goes into the box. That’s my work this week.
How are you this weekend? Light on your feet? Even if you’re working towards it, you’re in good shape.
This is the 300th installment of Let It Be Sunday which means I’m nothing if not stubborn. Thank you for being here this, and many other Sundays. I love this little ritual between us.
The offering this week is below. Take it easy and, as always, take only what you need today:
• “The world belongs to those who shape it.” (Time)
• Our long read of the week is also the most interesting read of the week. The science of the space we create around ourselves: How close is too close? (Aeon)
• I’ve recently embraced half-caff and decaf coffee as a way to enjoy all the coffee I want to drink without overcaffeinating myself into anxiety oblivion. I’ve always associated decaf coffee as a sign of aging and sure… here I am getting older but maybe also wiser about how to live this good life? Turns Out It’s Pretty Good: Aging. (The Cut)
• Saved by Dolly Parton, again. (The Guardian)
• I’m SUPER inspired by these twelve holiday cookie recipes from The Washington Post. If you’re been looking for some uniquely delicious cookies, you’ll join me here. I’m going to make Rose Wilde’s Amaretti Dipped in Ruby Ganache (The Washington Post)
• This was one of my most delicious baking days. I highly recommend a quality baking day followed by quality couch time with these Chocolate Babka Pull Apart Muffins and fresh coffee. (Joy the Baker)
• This week Drake launched a line of candles that smell like… Drake. He’s taking humility to new levels and I suppose we’re into it, because the candles are sold out. I’m toying with the idea of bringing back Drake on Cake. I mean… no one asked and no one needs it but I wonder if the inspiration is there. (Page Six and Instagram
• Our friends at Cherry Bombe have a new issue out and I can’t wait to get my hands on it.
• I usually make this decadent homemade egg nog with rum (can you see me smiling?), but this year I’m going to try Minimalist Baker’s (we love her) Vegan Egg Nog. (Joy the Baker and Minimalist Baker)
• The Secret Lives of Church Ladies by Deesha Philyaw is going to be my read for the holiday break as recommended by Samantha Irby. (Parnassus Books)
• Ok. We can all handle 11 minutes a day. (The New York Times)
• This is not wholly important but I’m still going to talk about it. I’ve never been a person who knows how to blow dry my hair or do my makeup very well but this year, with no hair cuts and makeup help (and also, nowhere to go, so the stakes are low) I’ve had to figure it out. Two things have changed the game for me: Revlon’s Hot Air Brush and Ilia Makeup (especially the tinted serum and multi-use blush cream). (Amazon and Ilia)
• Take it back to December 2018 with Let It Be Sunday, 200! There’s an article about shopping for your Dad-In-Law that i’m going to revisit. (Joy the Baker)
I hope you enjoy this Sunday!
My love to you!
(If you’re curious, pictured above: sugared cranberries.)
Can you make a curated magazine with recipes and hand picked articles like these? I’m so into that. I’m also into this – so thanks! ??
I’m unbelievably late on this, those have been crazy weeks!! But first of all congrats on 300 and happy holidays!! :D
There’s something that is so refreshing to see an online community and reading newsletters like this (I’m a part of a few!) But I laugh out loud sometimes when I read yours, because of the certain ways you word things that make me chuckle. For example, the part about Drake? I mean, are we shocked, really? Hahaha
At 32, I have wholly and completely switched to decaf and I am not missing the caffeine in the slightest. I buy beans that fall under the “swiss water decaf process” because it uses only water to decaffeinate the beans (and apparently also contain the least amount of caffeine).
OH thank you for this swiss water education! I did not know!
Congrats and thank you for episode 300. Many of your links require a paid subscription in order to access and therefore not so helpful for some of us. Just saying
Hi Joy, I’m so excited to hear you tried tennis! I love to play and hope you will stick with it. When I read about staying light on your feet I had to smile because I am always hearing “move your feet” when I am taking a lesson. What my coach loves to see is me jogging in place when I would normally be flat footed waiting to see where I was going to run to get the ball.
300!!! Keep it up. You are amazing. Tennis is hard. And you and my daughter are in the “non-light foot” tribe. Love it. Enjoy the big and all the holidays.
How has the Revlon Hot Air Brush helped you?
Congrats on 300! Every week I find my mind blown by your amazing stories I’ve not seen anywhere else. The one about personal space particularly captivated me. As I’m searching for a new home the idea of how much space I need and where I want to be to feel happy and safe is on my mind a lot.
Also oh my gosh please can we rename the moderna vaccine Dolly?! She has been such an inspiration to me recently never having really known anything about her but what an incredible woman and a force of nature. She has changed the world for the better.
Speaking of one person who changed the world for the better, I can’t remember his name but the most recent edition of radio lab podcast featuring vaccines blew my mind. I also hope we can make more space in the corporate world for outspoken and profane geniuses.
First time, loooooong time, here to say that I certainly do need more Drake on Cake (we put a Drake lyric on one of our six wedding cakes, totally inspired by/cribbed from you). And also Drake on Cake prints for the kitchen is a fantastic idea.
That AEON article fascinating! It also led me to some other really interesting articles on their site, thanks for leading me to the water!
Hey. I’ve been drinking decaf since I was 24, when I realized caffeine made me anxious. The more we ask for it from our favorite fancy roasters, the more of it they will deliver, so we don’t have to skimp on the exotic flavors we are offered these days by gourmands. No need for it to feel like an old-people thing… maybe just a “wise” people thing ;)
Congratulations on 300 Sunday posts..quite an accomplishment. I could not get in this morning but ending my day with a cup of coffee and dog at my side. No coffee will not keep me up BUT I will be be making several trips to bathroom Worth It! Just could not start my week without checking in on your offerings. Have a great week all..
Sugared cranberries are an annual tradition at our house, too! A few years ago I discovered that letting them dry on a cooling rack for an hour or so before tossing them in the sugar makes for the best sparkle and most even coverage. Thanks for the post!