Welcome to the unofficial start of summer! Memorial Day weekend in Chicago feels… electric and alive. It feels like you’ve made it to life’s weekend. Everyone is itching to get out and do anything, anything at all, and you do. It’s time to watch your uncle throw a little something on the grill in his huarache sandals and signature turning tongs.
In other news, I worked this week, y’all. I mean, I WORKED, okay? Like I really put all efforts in and I’m mildly upset about it because I truly do not dream of labor. But it’s okay! I am on the small team of folks working to bring you Camp Joy, in all its glory. Can I just say, without revealing any spoilers, it’s fantastic. Joy put her whole, beautiful heart into its creation, and I am so excited for you to see it. Soon! So soon!!
I hope these links start your Sunday off right. Not too many, I want you to enjoy the long weekend!
• My late grandmother always said Memorial Day to Labor Day was the only appropriate time to eat watermelon, and I will never stray from this advice. In honor of the weekend, you should definitely make this salad and/or this sangria (heavy on the and not the or). (Joy the Baker)
• While you’re at it, please wish Joy the happiest of birthdays! She made her own birthday cake, because she is a Gemini and a baker, there was no other choice. (Joy the Baker)
• Queen Oprah is producing a remake of one of my favorite (and one of her best) movies, The Color Purple. I sob like I’m seeing it for the first time, every time I watch it. I cannot wait to see Halle Bailey and Fantasia absolutely dominate their roles. (Instagram)
• I’ve decided I’m not wearing a bra this summer. I am liberating my chest from the ache of underwire, period. And that’s on Gloria Steinem. It’s cami bras and bodysuits from here on out! That particular bodysuit I wear backwards because I like the v-neck situation it has going on. (Old Navy, Target)
• Tina Turner, a true legend, passed away earlier this week. It felt like the internet gasped together. NPR’s Brittany Luse talks about Tina’s unique ability to merge and warp musical genres. May her memory forever be a blessing.
• Have you discovered Miss New York on Instagram? I follow her on TikTok and proudly claim she is my best friend (figuratively). She’s hilarious, relatable, and recently exploded by posting videos of loved ones making it to the reception desk of Heaven. You will laugh and be confused when you burst into tears seconds later.
• There are two reading lists I look forward to every year: my father, Barack Obama, and this one, specifically made for the summer. It’s broken down into categories so you can really live your best summer reading life. As a kid who relished summer reading challenges and still wishes BOOK-IT was around, this deeply satisfies my adult brain. (Instagram, The New York Times)