It’s time we start perfecting our Porch Sit game.
A Porch Sit is a late-afternoon gathering of friends, neighbors, a dog or two, a guitar or harmonica (optional), overlapping conversations, and sweet cold cocktails.
A Porch Sit is vital to summer, happy relationships, and good health. They stretch on into the evening and usually coincide with snacks, some sort of pasta salad, and a small dose of half-whispered gossip.
Cocktails are only part of the equation. Part but essential.
It’s cocktail time.
Start with the freshness: limes, kiwi, crushed ice and lots of rum.
White or golden rum for this recipe. Wait, do they call it golden rum? I hope so and they should.
Fresh lime juice together with granulated sugar. Stir stir stir until the sugar is dissolved. This lime-based cocktail will be very tart so I like to add a good amount of sugar.
Fresh lime and fresh kiwi into the lime and sugar.
Up next? Something I like to call the smash-muddle. Using the back of a spoon of a muddler to press mint and kiwi flavor into the sweetened lime juice.
Glasses prepared with loads of crushed ice, a lime wedge or two, a few kiwi slices, and big fragrant mint sprigs for each glass.
The cocktail is stirred with ice and divided among the garnished glasses.
Add a splash of soda to fizzy the drink and dilute the sweet lime.
Consider serving with a heap of Roasted Tomato and Feta Guacamole and crisp tortilla chips. Maybe on one of those sunny days when you’re playing hooky from a responsibility or two. Not that you do that… but it wouldn’t be the worst thing.Print
Kiwi Mint Mojitos
- lots of crushed ice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice plus lime wedges for garnish
- 3-4 tablespoons super fine granulated sugar, depending on your sweet tooth
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves, plus large sprigs of mint to garnish
- 3 ripe kiwi, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup rum
- splash of club soda for each glass
- In a large glass or cocktail shaker stir together lemon juice and sugar until sugar has dissolved. Add mint leaves and a few slices of kiwi and muddle until fruit and mint are crushed and fragrant.
- Add rum and a handful of crushed ice and stir until combined.
- Fill four small glasses with crushed ice. Add mint sprigs, kiwi slices and lime wedges to each glass.
- Divide the cocktail between the four glasses, top each glass with club soda. Add a straw and enjoy immediately.