I don’t much like the news this week. I don’t much like it at all. I’m tired of the Republicans yelling at me. I’m tired of hearing people dissect all of the yelling that they did, as if I needed some sort of translation. I’m preemptively shrinking away at the Democrats yelling at me because I don’t much want to hear or dissect that either. This election cycle is just… is it over yet? I’m not ambivalent I just don’t want all that’s being dished out. I want noise cancelling headphones and a trashy novel and really dark sunglasses.
Here’s some of the Internet for you Sunday:
• Why Democrats and Republicans Literally Speak Different Languages. Words and messages in these election times are very carefully crafted, with pointed partisan agendas woven into simple words. One side uses the word ‘alien’ while the other uses the word ‘immigrant’. Same concept, very different vibe. Sure, this is nothing new… but do we really need further divisiveness in that way we interact and speak of and to one another?
• My parents and two caregivers took care of my grandparents at the end of their lives. Those are hard years, months, and days. Lessons in love and patience, and grace and selflessness and seeing their care was a deeply powerful message growing up. Read this, about hospice caregivers: A Tender Hand in the presence of Death
• A very good weekend read! An excerpt from Dave Eggers’ new novel: Heroes of the Frontier.
• Is a child who is ‘old enough to ask for it’ too old to breast-feed? No. Yes. Wait… how about you decide what’s best for you and the person you made with your body? Sweet.
• It’s weird that we have to detail this sort of thing, but it’s important. ‘Important’ in a relative sense. ‘Important’ meaning it’s likely not all that important at all… you just don’t want to sound like an insensitive ass when other people are truly hurting. How NOT To Mourn A Deadly Terrorist Attack On Social Media
• Can Turmeric Heal Our National Inflammation? I mean… seems like an easy quick fix, right? Worth a shot.
• Let’s get out and play (and save on dollars): 9 Super Cheap Summer Friend Date Ideas
• Put your food brain on this combination. I think it has legs. Let’s experiment soon! Watermelon Tomato Margaritas.
• This Muffuletta Pasta Salad is ideal for your summer potluck excursions. Meat and cheese and carbs and olives… so, go!
• I think at some point in 2009 I vowed I would never wear a halter top ever again. I think I’ve changed my mind with this casual cool Amalfi Halter Dress from Ann Taylor. Real quick though… what do I do with these boobs in a halter dress? That’s what I haven’t quite figure out.
• This book is in my queue: Sweetbitter. Have you read it?
Enjoy your day! We’re in it, amen!