Thank goodness, Abby brought extra parachutes for us last week because I’m raising my hand to claim one. She’s not the only member of Team Joy the Baker who jumps first and finds solutions on the way down. That’s exactly what’s happening as I set off on a little solo camping trip this week to create and collect content for the forthcoming Camp Joy: Cooking Zine (out in late May, godwilling).
Creating this zine, on my own with a very small but very mighty team, feels like a natural evolution of early pandemic’s Camp Joy and the retail-leaning holiday magazines but – it’s funny that even when an idea feels natural and exciting, it’s also wrapped in doubts and second guesses. Also fear like… why are ideas downright scary sometimes? I guess that’s just the way of it, right?
I made a single giant pancake for Instagram yesterday (me upon my bullsh*t), and someone in the comments asked how to flip a pancake that large. It’s like looking off the edge of a cliff dive and deciding to jump, or not. Creating a book, jumping off a cliff, flipping a pancake: all the same side of a coin. Ya gotta do it to do it.
I’m thrilled I get to try at something for you. I’m thankful Abby has extra parachutes. If you’re on the Hard Try too, I want to hear what you’re reaching for.
Fact remains, it’s our Sunday and I’m so glad you’re here. Find a sweet place to settle and, as always, take only what you need. See you in the comments, babes.
• Overestimating ChatGPT and underestinating the elegance of our big little brains. Noam Chomsky: The False Promise of ChatGPT (New York Times)
• As a person who worked in the mall food court as a teenager, I’m highly invested in these Fountains of Youth. The way I turned Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream into actual currency in that food court. I was a King Pin. I peaked early. (Eater)
• A few weeks ago I was a guest on the Dear Foundher Podcast. We talked about the foundations of content and community in our work. That’s you. You’re the community. (Apple Podcast)
• Our big sister, Kerry Washington, is in Her Enlightenment Era and we’re taking notes. (Marie Claire)
• Milk Has Lost All Meaning but I gently suspect that cow’s milk is weirdly, about to be trendy. How many years of oatmilk can we take, really? (The Atlantic)
• My friend Noah Galuten’s deep dive into Chili Spaghetti opened my eyes to chili-specific ground beef and left me drooling. How do you feel about chili over pasta? I’m deeply PRO. (YouTube)
• Like Abby, I’m in a fashion dilemma. I’m in a transition of seasons but also a transition in, dare I say, AGE? In this 40 somethingth year of my life I find that I don’t want to explore the return of 90’s fashion but I’m more than willing to let go of my skinny jeans. What is this in between space? It’s time for classics only. Timeless only. Straight jeans, good linens, and these classic Reeboks. (Amazon)
• I’m throwing absolutely everything I’ve got at balancing my hormones this year after the fibroid surgery last year. Full court press. These Beeya Seed Cycling mixes are one thing I’ve added to the regimen and they definitely make a difference in my PMS symptoms and I love the fiber they add to my diet. (Beeya)
• I won’t buy the new Raspberry Rally Girl Scout Cookies off Ebay but like… who do know who could get me a box? Girl Scout to Girl Scout, ya know?
• A symptom of scrolling on TikTok is that my brain craves only whole album listening experiences. I’ve taken to Nina Simone’s Here Comes the Sun this week. It feels right as we step into these long sunny evenings. (Spotify)
• It’s Oscars Sunday! Will you be watching? Are you making something from Toby’s Oscars Party Menu? My vote is for the White Bean Crostini and the dress recaps come Monday. (Joy the Baker)
My love to you. Enjoy this fine day.