I’m sure there’s an alternate universe where another version of myself is perpetually 28 years old, eating chili cheese fries and Oreo cookies for as many meals as she’d like without consequence. I’m actually not at all sure of this alternate universe but boy am I hopeful. I’m out there somewhere living my best, most chili-cheesed life…. please.
These treats are a direct reflection of what I want to eat these days.
Also on my To Make list is a lovely raw soup from the new Tartine All Day cookbook that consists of raw parsley and cilantro and avocado and cucumber and other greed good-for-yous that I can bear to mention right now. I looked at that recipe with respect and adoration and headed straight for the marshmallows and cookies. That’s just how some days go down.
It’s simple- this makes me deeply happy. I’ll get to the green stuff, sooner than later, but definitely later.
Here’s how these treats start:
- a box of rice cereal
- marshmallows to melt
- butter, browned to golden and flavorful
- salt, for balance
- and Oreo cookies, crushed and crumbled and snacked on.
See those brown butter specs mixed into the marshmallow? You know that saying “everything happens for a reason”? I think this is what they were talking about. This and only this.
To the large pot of melted, buttery marshmallow we’ll add cereal and cookies.
Salt too. I like to add a good dose of coarse sea salt.
Toss until all of the dry bits are coated in the wet bites. Part of the science of baking.
Press into a well buttered pan and top with more cookies just because you can.
The first bite will be crunchy and chewy. With that familiar marshmallow stick and give. A hint of salt. A dash of very dark chocolate. Everything is really very fine.
For other Oreo adventures, see: Milk Chocolate Cookies and Cream Cookies (they’re BONKERS good!).
For more in the Krispie Treat game, find: Salty and Malty Brown Butter Treats (they have Whoppers on them, ok?)
Photographs by Jon Melendez.Print
- 12 ounces (1 box) rice krispie cold cereal
- 16 ounce bag large or small marshmallows
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted to browned
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 16 Oreo cookies, chopped and crushed
- Place the rice krispies in a very large bowl. Set aside.
- Butter a 9×13-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt together the marshmallows and butter. Stir as the mixture melts until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the rice krispies. Sprinkle in most of the salt. Stir until all of the cereal is coated in marshmallow. Add most of the chopped cookies.
- To make pressing the mixture into the prepared pan easier, grease your wooden spoon (even if it’s covered in sticky rice krispie treats) with butter.
- Press into the pan. Sprinkle with remaining salt and cookies and use your fingers to press them into the treats.
- Allow treats to rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before slicing. This will make the treats easier to slice and handle.
- Wrap individually, share, and enjoy!