Friends, hello! I don’t know about you but I am absolutely counting the days until October. I don’t know exactly why. September is a lovely month of transition. But October! October means we can lean all the way into apples and browned butter and Halloween candy (so so many fun-size Snickers, please), and I can start to work through my canned pumpkin hoard. Here are the 10 best things to bake in October.
• Gather ye apples and make Ina Garten’s Apple Pie Bars. This is the easiest way to an apple pie moment and I like this ratio of crust to apple filling better than a whole pie.
• As a child I would store my Halloween candy in a giant bowl on top of the refrigerator. I think my mom and dad both ate a good amount of it but that’s just part of parental rights. These days, any Halloween candy that doesn’t go in a Trick or Treater’s bag goes into these Candy Bar Blondie Brownies.
• My favorite cookie has gone pumpkin. These Pumpkin Black and White Cookies are tender little cakes covered with frosting. While we’ve got pumpkin on the brain, Deb of Smitten Kitchen has the best pumpkin bread recipe I’ve tried.
• It’s soup season and I love a pot of homemade chicken soup. BUT – soup is better with dumplings and dumplings are even better with pumpkin so – we did it! Chicken and Pumpkin Dumplings
• Add this to the list of things to make as you practice your pie crust techniques. This dinner pie is meat free but so hearty filled with squash and greens: Vegetarian Pot Pie.
• Can you think of anything better than brioche and custard, a splash of booze and dried cherries? Bread pudding is up there with rice pudding on the list of comfort foods. Toasted Bread and Butter Pudding
• Chocolate Orange Conchas are holiday flavored Mexican Sweet Breads. What I love most about these little buns is that they’re even better a day after baking and perfect for dipping in coffee. They’re a perfect weekend baking project.
• Pizza is forever and this is my favorite sort Detroit Style Pizza. My ideal toppings are pepperoni, pineapple and jalapeno. You?
• I make these Pumpkin Pecan Scones with Browned Butter Glaze every year. They’re like sweet and doughy little drop biscuits topped with a sweet glaze. Perfect with strong coffee and a game of dominos.
• Deep dark brownies but add GUINNESS. The light bitterness compliments the chocolate and the batter is sweet glossy chocolate. Make friends with these Guinness Brownies.
I hope you find some some inspiration in the 10 best things to bake in October. There are no bad bakes this time of year but there are some warm and comforting flavors to play with. Be well and happy baking, friends! xo