Hello, friends! It’s another fine Sunday and I’m so thankful we’re here together!
This week I’ve had to urge to get out in the garden to fuss with the plants. To be clear, it’s just been an urge and the plants outside are yellowing twigs more than anything… but there’s something in that feeling. Sparks of spring renewal? Is this them? I’ve been taking long neighborhood walks in the early morning with my coffee in a thermose. It’s been an active way for me to take in my caffeine and morning news podcasts. The neighborhood feels still and safe in the morning – nice considering New Orleans is in the midst of a pretty gnarly police shortage and crime spree. But the Japanese magnolias are blooming, houses are decorated to the rooftops for Mardi Gras, we have the power to fry pickles, and life continues to be everything all at once.
This week’s offering is below. It’s a lot and I hope you find a few things to fill you up. Take what you need.
• Everyday this week I’ve flung myself out of bed and said aloud “I’m excited for today!” Nothing much happens after this declaration. The Cinderella mice and doves don’t swoop in to help me dress or caffeinate, but saying I’m excited reminds me that I actually AM excited (read: grateful, eager, and closer to my first cup of coffee). Is this me trying to change my personality? This week’s long read in The Atlantic: I Gave Myself Three Months to Change My Personality. I personally draw the line at improv class. Hard no.
• This week I was on Being Boss Podcast where I talk about… how I sort of know… but also do not know what I’m doing. It’s the story of all of us? Have a listen to the conversation! (Apple Podcasts)
• Our friend and JtB contributor Toby read all the finance books for us at Real Simple: 5 New Finance Books That Are Changing How Women Do Money.
• You know her. You love her. Kim’s (contributor and friend of the show) must read essay in Nashville Scene: Be In The Picture.
• Two other things I’m listening to: Amos Lee’s new album Dreamland and Season 1 of the podcast Something Was Wrong which appears to be about a love scam? There’s some spotty audio and need for more aggressive editing but I’ll keep giving the podcast a shot. (Spotify, Somethtingwaswrong)
• Wait.. have you watched The Tinder Swindler on Netflix? The house of cards is honestly remarkable. I find myself thinking “it could never be me” when I hear of women swindled by lovers but it’s LOVE and our big ol’ hopeful hearts get in the way of reason. For sure it could be me… but probs not.
• Something is happening to my brain and I can’t remember if I told you this or not. Don’t say it’s age, this is my prime thankyou. I found myself on the couch crying actual tears (?) at the final episode of And Just Like That. My goodness we all looooooved to rag on that show through the first few episodes before letting it develop. While I still feel a little stiff in the shoulders about the change in some of the characters I feel like I know so well, this podcast episode of Bitch Sesh changed my mind about the beauty of this new rendition as a whole. (Apple Podcast)
• Because I splurged on HBO Max for And Just Like That I’m currently watching Bridget Everett’s Somebody Somewhere and my heart swells with it. That’s the best way I can describe the feeling.
• I signed up for the new weekly newsletter from Saveur called With Relish. They’ve always made some of my favorite food content. (Saveur)
• I was pretty skeptical putting a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in my cart to recipe test this past week’s Marry Me Chicken recipe and my suspicions were correct. I splurged on the ‘good’ jarred sun-dried tomatoes and somehow they tasted nothing like tomatoes. Where the flavor was to be intensified they were flavorless leather coins. They made it into the first test of the chicken recipe but didn’t make the cut. Naturally I found myself curious. Whatever Happened to Sundried Tomatoes?. (Joy the Baker and Taste)
• If you suffer from endometriosis like I do (it’s a whollop), maybe you’ll find some help here. I’ve wanted excision surgery for years but I’ll tell ya, that price tag is HIGH which… well, that’s a whole other mess I don’t have the bandwidth to discuss. (Prevention)
• 4 Tips for Splitting the Bill If You Don’t Drink and Your Friends Do. As a former waitress I’m giving the non-drinker permission to just ask for a separate check, as long as they have not ordered hot water with lemon in which case they’ve already worked my last nerve. LOL aren’t you glad I’m your favorite baker and no longer your least favorite waitress? (The Kitchn)
• Jon made my favorite food into a dip: Cheesy Beef Enchilada Dip. This is both a Superbowl AND a Valentine’s Day recipe. The romance, amIright? (The Candid Appetite)
• I’m teaching one last virtual Bakehouse class until the fall and… be there or be without King Cake. I don’t know what else to tell ya. (Eventbrite)
Enjoy this beautiful day, friends!
My love to you.