Let’s start softening our butter. Let’s stock up on brown sugar and pastry flour. We’re going to need a lot of chocolate… actually, ALL of the chocolate. Yes, we’ve got a lot of baking to do this Fall. Yes, we’re excited. REALLY excited. There are some big-deal cookbooks hitting the shelves in the next few months and all of them promise to overflow with buttery, sweet, and otherwise delicious possibilities.
Psst. I know I’ve mentioned that my second cookbook Homemade Decadence comes out this October 14th! I’m bound to mention the book at least 1.7 billion more times before the year is complete. Get into it! I think the book is really great (biased).
• Huckleberry by Zoe Nathan September 9, 2014 • Zoe Nathan is my favorite baker / pastry brain in all of Los Angeles. Her baking is elevated comfort food. Huckleberry, her bakery in Santa Monica is my favorite place to eat more doughnuts than I should. With Zoe’s recipes highlighted by Matt Armendariz’s photography, the book is exactly right.
• Bar Tartine by Cortney Burns and Nicolaus Balla November 25, 2014 • I think about the meal I enjoyed at Bar Tartine in San Francisco often. There was stuffed cabbage leaves, hearty dark green salad, and Tartine bread forever and ever and ever. Everything is so very cared for at Bar Tartine. I’m looking forward to the solid technique and (sure to be) unique recipes in this book.
• Dominique Ansel: The Secret Recipes October 28th, 2014 • The mighty-fine, Paris-trained pastry man who invented the Cronut has written a cookbook. There is bound to be a mega amount of butter and classic technique.
• Ovenly by Erin Patinkin and Agatha Kulaga September 30, 2014 • Ovenly is the New York bakery of our dreams and now the book can bring all of their delightful creations to our own kitchens. This is success!
• Plenty More by Yotam Ottolenghi October 14th, 2014 • The long anticipated cookbook sequel to Plenty. Plenty More is 120 vegetarian dishes organized by cooking method and sure to be one of the most beautiful and useful books of the year. Just the thought of this book makes me ssiigghh.
• Top with Cinnamon by Izy Hossack September 30, 2014 • The first book from young blogger and general wiz-kid Izy of TopWithCinnamon.com. Her recipes are often a lovely mix of indulgence and health. This book is sure to be perfectly styled, beautifully photographed, and absolutely delicious.
• Baking Chez Moi by Dorie Greenspan October 28th, 2014 • Dorie’s book Baking was the first cookbook to start my major cookbook collection. Her recipes are solid, her technique is approachable and exactly right, and her flavor combinations are a perfect mix of classic and creative. I can’t wait to add this book to my collection!
• The Kitchn Cookbook by Sarah Kate Gillingham and Faith Durand October 6, 2014 • This labor of love from Sarah Kate and Faith of The Kitchn feels like the answer to a lot of lingering kitchen questions. The book is a combination of recipes, kitchen lessons, and organizational and storage tips. It’s everything. So very good!
• The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum November 4, 2014. If you have baked from The Cake Bible then you know that Rose Levy Beranbaum is an absolute legend in the kitchen. Her recipes are thorough and exact, precicely what a baker needs. I’m ready for her lessons; they’re lasting!
Other cookbooks I’m super excited about include:
• Mastering My Mistakes In The Kitchen by Dana Cowin October 14, 2014 • So… wait. The beautiful, smart, and stylish editor of Food & Wine magazine has kitchen fails!? Really tho?
• The Kitchy Kitchen by Claire Thomas August 26, 2014 • We have Claire’s Kitchy Kitchen to thank for last week’s Beer Brownies! Claire’s book is filled with recipes that feel approachable yet special. Recipes perfect for an intimate dinner and tips and recipes for entertaining a crowd. I love Claire’s approach to food, decadent and comfortable.
• Seriously Delish by Jessica Merchant September 2, 2014 • We made Oatmeal Cookie Granola. Thumbs up! Tracy made Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn. Double thumbs up!
• Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito October 7, 2014 • The men of Baked don’t know how to write a bad book. Their books are always classy, masculine, creative, and delicious. I can’t wait to have their latest! I hear rumors of Praline Ice Cream Cake… just saying’.